View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

A low blow turbo would be OK but in all honesty it will still never perform properly while the car is running on this crappy unleaded fuel we get dished up today. By the time you lower your CR (even for low blow and 98 RON fuel) the car will turn into a gutless wonder below 3500 rpm. The carby also has to be modified quite a bit for blow through and IMO not worth the expense or effort.

I have just (this very week) completed an LPG set-up on my son's (yes, I have finally passed it on) RS2000 and it is already prepared for a low boost turbo installation which I know he will be wanting to do in the not too distant future. The cost of the LPG install was $2500 and the govt gives a rebate of $2k - so for $500 the car now runs as good as it did in the good old days when we could get 100 RON fuel for our little rockets - and a bonus is the fuel cost per km is gong to be halved (estimation at this time).

So if you are serious about a turbo here's your plan ... convert to LPG and ditch the carby and use a throttle body off any EFI car you can find laying around at the wreckers - I used a 4.0L falcon one. Be sure to order a complex convertor (not a regulator and mixer) in the gas kit that will support a 3.0L motor up to say 200HP and when you are ready to add the turbo it will be an easy job - fuel supply already taken care of!

Good luck with it.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote