View Single Post
Old 30-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
BA_GTR

Default AU stalling thread no. 657

Hey guys,

The big red car is having stalling issues now. :(

Basically, when slowing down from any speed... if you brake hard the engine stalls. It's extremely unusual though, as at 50km/h the car is at 600rpm. When braking, it drops below 600... seeing 200 sometimes. It also stalls on turns when combined with braking. The car also 'hunts' if you put it in reverse or drive and just push the brake. There is a slight effect in Park, but it isn't too bad.

From what I have been reading, the first steps are to clean the ISC and the throttle body? I had a look at GK's tutorial (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ody#post864182) and his engine bay appears different. He has a different sort of connection between the airbox pipe and the throttlebody. Can anyone point me in the right direction to remove it?

If cleaning that doesn't help, that means that it could be my power steering switch could be dying? The power steering appears to be 'heavier' than before, and something has been doing fresh leaking on the garage floor. The mechanic that replaced the high pressure hose appears to have used a red oil rather than the yellow Mobil 424 oil that is specified by Ford.

If I force it in first gear and drive upto 80 there doesn't appear to be any lack of power, so that should rule out the fuel system?

Could the transmission be the problem? The car is nearing 180k now, and I don't remember whether the transmission has had a service, it definitely hasn't had one in at least 60 thousand, quite possibly more.

Unusually, the car also had a starting issue recently where it would hiss for a while, and then take a few seconds to begin cranking. When this occured, the problem of stalling began too. I'm not sure whether they are related or not, but the car has stopped this delayed start now.

Thanks for your help guys

BA_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote