View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #94
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Hey guys, i work in a remote gold mine near central aus. We do 2 wks on, 1 wk off. 7 nights, shift change, 7days then time off. Employer is Newmont. I got a job as an underground pump fitter, no mining experience. Im on a lower bracket pay and i earn 125 000+, get yearly bonus of 5.5%, full family cover private health provided, plus an allowance for living in NT of 6 000 per year, 25 days annual leave per year. But we do work 12 hour days plus 30 min travel to and from the site each day, food and rooms supplied. My fiance also got a job as an underground truck driver with a car lisence and no previous experience. At the moment, they are chasing a number of jobs including underground truck drivers, auto electritions, diesel fitters, car mechanics etc. Look up Newmont.com and the site is called Callie Gold Mine (also known as The Granites), people sometimes use this place to get experience in the mines because they hire alot of 'green people'. Jobs are FIFO from Darwin, Alice Springs and Perth. Sometimes they will fly you in from alot of other places, depends how much they need the position filled.
Winter XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote