View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
bryanj
Starter Motor

Default Re: backfiring on lpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosscco
When I bought my car - Fairmont AUII Tickford dual fuel - about 6 months ago it backfired a few times and burst the concertina pipe. I replaced the pipe and sparkplugs and it hasn't done it for a few months, but has recently started doing it again. Any ideas of anything else to check?
Why would it backfire in the intake manifold? Intake valves?
Hi, You mentioned that you replaced the sparkplugs, but did you replace the leads? If not get some good quality ones that are wire wound.
There are a few good brands and the price usually determines the ones you will choose. I have Bosch leads on mine and they are ok.
I put another brand on an EL on gas as the price was bettter on that brand for an EL. Up to $15.00 depending on brand and application/model. I went to Sprint and then to Autopro.

As you didn't mention whether it backfired on start-up or normal driving this is a good startng point.
Also make sure you inlet manifold studs are tight. Most are not and if your real keen put some meduim loctite on them and they will hold forever. You can blow the inlet manifold gasket if its very loose and backfires and the car will regularly miss. Leads and manifold studs are a must. There are some other things but hopefully this will fix it.

I'm sure there will be others with extra ideas as this is a great help forum for Ford owners.

Regards Bryan
bryanj is offline   Reply With Quote