View Single Post
Old 13-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #324
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yes but being a uni student means I am stuffed and pretty much have to go through the programs. I havent studied for 5+ years to drive a truck (although if it made a difference I would..LOL).

Not having a bit of paper means I cant technically apply for a Mech Eng job outright, Im not a grad so that program is out too, and I dont have any trade experience so I am bent over there aswell. Its a really annoying limbo stage. I have Automotive Eng experience but thats it.
A lot of the bigger miners offer positions internally before going outside, if you are already there then you have increased your chances of getting the position you want 10 fold, the proverbial first cab off the rank....

Also a lot of the bigger miners offer fully funded training, so if you are already partly qualified in your chosen field and a trainee spot comes up then you are a better prospect for them, this is exactly how my brother went from Engine Room Greaser (PowerStation) to Mech Engineer...

I am no longer in the mining industry after moving to Offshore Oil & Gas (more money ) and this is the way i moved up to where i wanted to be...

Remember it's not all about qualifications, it's also about doing whats required to get that foot in the door and taking it from there....good luck...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote