View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #10844
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FGX, The Last EVER Falcon - Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainforcepatrol View Post
Apologies a bit off topic but was there ever a fix for the hiss in the FG radio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon View Post
The fixes attempted were akin to window dressing...
I'm hoping the whole Sync2 hardware is a better ballgame and the issues in FG stereo's aren't present with FGX.
The "window dressing" seems to have worked fairly well in my 8/11 G6. It is a bit of an oddball being one of the first LPi, just prior to the FG2 update. It has a bit of a unique setup - the wiring harness is like that of a FG2 G6 with the A-pillar tweeter plugs, and no under-dash courtesy light sockets, but obviously still has the standard FG screen & ICC.

Prior to doing an audio upgrade (amp, sub, splits etc) I could get hiss on the ipod input, but only when winding it up to greater than 25. The radio & CD didn't exhibit the hiss. I partly masked it by increasing the ipod gain in the ICC settings - to the point where you couldn't run the stock speakers past 15 before they were distorting (but no audible hiss, even on the quiet parts of Dire Straits' "Private Investigations").

All the talk of hiss and those who had found it become a lot worse with an amp had me concerned about doing the upgrade, but I pressed on. It's even better than I expected - I've wound the ipod gain back a bit (with an amp running a sub and front splits I could only get the volume up to 8 before it became uncomfortably loud).

I then began to doubt myself about the hiss, and whether I was missing something, so as a comparison, I tried out 2 of my work colleague's cars - one was a 2008 G6 with the tech pack, and the other a 2010 XR50T with premium sound. Using my old iPhone4 as the source (keeping it consistent with my car) both exhibited a lot of hiss on the aux setting.

So whatever they tried managed to work for my car. It didn't fix it completely, but it reduced it to almost in audible levels. It would be interesting to see if others with post-2011 cars also have a greatly reduced amount of hiss.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote