Thread: E49 Chargers
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #264
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: E49 Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Even in the early eighties the roads were reasonably "empty" and policing was fairly light. Yes there were hand held radar guns, but they were few and far between. There was mobile radar I think, but it was pretty sparsely used and not a widespread fitment. When I started driving in 1982 in Bundaberg, the local police used to give out "warnings" as much as they did "tickets". The highway patrol boys (who even then had a chip on their shoulders) drove "pursuit" cars...yellow painted (as opposed to white) police cars, usually Commodores. They had some suspension work and engine work done.

The roads were fairly quiet and very different to what we see today...there were semi trailers, but at the time in Queensland B-doubles only existed way out in remote outback areas and were banned from highways and roads down towards the coast...and in my mind that was a damn good idea. Triples, or road trains, didn't exist.

I vividly remember doing a run in my Charger down to Maryborough and sitting on an even 100mph when I hit the highway outside Bundy. I saw one police car down near Maryborough but I'd started to slow down by then as I was approaching town. Didn't see any on the highway.

Things were a lot different...and these days if you can maintain 100kph on the highway for more than a few minutes before having to slow down for something, you're doing well...
There was one type of Highway Patrol VK patrol that was just a standard 5.0L and that just had the single exhaust and there was a better one that had the twin exhaust with a lumpy cam, boy that standard one was gutless but they were both gutless junk with rubbish tyres and the VL Turbo could only just make it with something like the old XB GT.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote