View Single Post
Old 17-07-2016, 12:28 AM   #77
DaveD_XB

Default Re: My XB Coupe RestoMod

There was change of pace in the Skunk Works today, I put down the grinders & hammers & left the welder unplugged & I decided to try my hand to simply bolting new stuff onto a car… a sight so rare that my long suffering other half popped into the shed & offered to take a pic of me putting **** back on a car for once lest no one believed me. I decided to trial fit the shiny new front suspension, steering & brakes that I have for the Coupe to see if this stuff really does just “bolt up” with “no special tools” & “no modifications” as the sales brochure had lead me to believe.. now for those of you who just have to know & can’t wait till the end of this update post…. Yeah, they pretty much did what it said on the box.

First up was my power Rack & Pinion steering conversion, the brochure tells me that getting rid of the old worm drive box & replacing it with this puppy will have my car steering like a 2010 Falcon XR8, sounds promising… although you’ll be a while awaiting my road test results.. but I have to say it looks an impressive piece of kit

Pollywhatsit bushes all round

And most importantly Bolt on brackets, there are a few options to upgrade this old girl, but I was after one that bolted into the factory mounting holes & could be undone to return the old girl to stock should I ever want too. The passenger side bracket install is pretty simple, uses the two existing bolt holes from the idler arm

The driver’s side on the other hand does foul a tiny bit of the support gusset

& you do need to grind off about half an inch of said gusset to get this to fit

Both brackets sit a little shy of being fully flush with the underside of the chassis rail, but that’s because I haven’t drilled the two holes yet that you bolt them up to the chassis rail lip with, I’m in two minds right now as to do some seam welding on these brackets too or just leave the bolts as the only means of attachment.

1972 Dodge Challenger R/T - Mopar Weekend Toy
1969 GTO - Pontiac Weekend Toy
DaveD_XB is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: