View Single Post
Old 18-10-2016, 02:10 AM   #30
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: My ZF Auto - Paddle Shifter Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
There is already enough room in the FG's clock-spring to take the extra wire feeds required for paddle-shift.

Basically, you just need to connect the wires from the wheel mounted paddles, to the plug on the steering wheel side.... and from the clock-spring, down the column etc.

the resistance values would have to match those of the 6spd's Sports-shifter. They could be altered... but do need to be factored in.

D
Hi Gothefalcon,
I admire your conversion project, and technical insight.
Regarding the FG Paddle wiring, I'm not sure if it will be so easy to re-wire and re-assign some of the buttons? Ref. the wiring diagram where you can see that all the audio buttons are sharing two wires across the clock spring, just with different resistor values. As far as I can see, this circuit needs to go to the ICC, and can't go to via the gear shift switches.
Have you checked the Clock spring connector, to count any spare wires?
(Looks like too much effort to design a new electronic circuit to add more resistance values on the existing wire ).

Anyway, a totally different way would be to use a wireless RF paddle shift kit. (tiny battery in the steering wheel). There are some RF paddle kits available on various hot rod web shops / motorsports shops.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote