View Single Post
Old 25-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #196
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
Planning to go there next month Rob. Looks fantastic!
First camping trip with our boys, 2 & 4 years old. Should be fun!

One question for you Rob. You mentioned that the camp stove you had got blocked. Did you manage to unblock it and how did you do that?
I've bought a cheapish one from BCF so hope it doesn't get blocked.
the stoves pull apart pretty easy. i removed the burners (they just unscrew) and took the jets out and gave them a bit of a tap and blow etc. also the knobs come off and there are some filters in there i think. memory is a bit hazy. i also turned the gas on (carefully) with the jets out to blow out any debris.

that was all a while ago and i've since bought a new one as that one was borrowed. bought a primus 2 burner in a 3 burner size https://www.snowys.com.au/2-burner-high-output-stove

i think the blockage was related to not having a regulator. i learnt my lesson. new one comes with a regulator and haven't had any issues to date. its a great burner but being a high heat rated one, it can chew through the gas if you take advantage of it and crank it up.

for all your camping needs, you can't go past snowys. bcf are a rip off and i have no idea how they manage to sell stuff. i only assume the boating side of it keeps them going. anaconda are ok because they will beat any price by 10% for the same product. when shopping at anaconda though, i only by brand name stuff, not anaconda brands. been there. its very much a case of you get what you pay for. 95% of my stuff comes from snowys. the other option is tentworld.com.au. they are generally around the same price as snowys and have a slightly better range on some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Looks good Rob, what's the facilities like at the site?
I wouldn't mind having a look around that part of the woods, its only half a days drive from Adelaide, no further than Wilpena really.

Are there many sites, is it busy and what's the coin for entry and camping, self registration?
facilities at this particular campground (boreang) were 2 drop toilets. the building and room was clean enough and paper was kept stocked by vicparks, but it was my first experience with drop toilets, and the smell was pretty feral. we did camp immediately after easter long weekend so they'd probably taken a hammering.

there were 23 sites at this campground. 1-12 are for tents and are separated from the carpark by a row of small bollards, so you have to carry your gear in. not a problem if you get a site next to the park bays i guess but not really suitable for people with larger setups or needing access to your car. sites 13-23 are vehicle accessible and vary in size to accommodate most setups. our site (site 15) was classed as 8x14 but with no hard boundaries it was plenty big enough.

being a national park, booking is all done online now, same as here in SA. its all done via vicparks website. a ranger did come around while we were there and one group of people got told to move on. pricing is middle of the road. we paid $136.50 for 5 nights, which is $27.30/night. price is for the site, although i think they might specify a max number of people per site.

it is a fantastic part of the country though. there are no walks or anything starting from the campground, so there is an 8km dirt road to get in and out but you soon get used to it. you wouldn't want to be doing multiple trips each day though.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: