View Single Post
Old 25-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #201
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Thanks for the feedback Rob.
With all these different camping destinations around maybe we should start giving them a star rating from 1 to 5 based on factors such as..

Site conditions (road conditions, site access, ground conditions etc.)
Facilities (toilets, showers, BBQ's nearby shops etc.)
Fees (camp site, park entry etc.)
Activities (bush walking tracks and scenery, on water activities etc.)

And more as people give consideration.

For example, I recently spent a bit of time camping on the shores of Lake Bonney in Barmera.

Site conditions- Bitumen access to all campsites, combination of firm soil and loose sand on setup area's less than 50m from the road. 3 stars

Facilities- no toilets or showers or BBQ's onsite but pubic toilets and free BBQ's on the town foreshore 24/7, $2 showers at the caravan park, campfires allowed, food/fuel/gas within 5km. 3 stars

Fees- free sites around 50% of the lake shore. 4 stars

Activities- Swimming, fishing, boating, sight seeing, wine tasting. 4 stars

Thoughts?
i just use wikicamps and google search to try to get an idea. its hard with rating sites as everyone has a different idea of what is good and what isn't.

speaking of reviews, we were booked in to halls gap lakeside leisure park for xmas. long story short,we had to cancel as my youngest ended up in hospital diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Anyway, every review for that caravan park is glowing with praise and it certainly looks fantastic. given we were in halls gap we decided to go and check it out in person. the staff certainly were very friendly and let us in to just wander around the site and check it out. It certainly is a very good caravan park, but it is also extremely popular with the busy periods selling out up to 12months in advance. looking at the site we were meant to be on, i was actually kind of glad it fell through. i phoned and emailed and was told more than once that the site would be fine for my size tent, but there was no way i would have fitted. that would have put a real downer on it for me. sometimes it doesn't matter how well something is reviewed, if it doesn't suit you, then you won't be happy.

having said that, if you don't mind the crowds, it is a very good park. you pay for the privilege though.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote