View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #12
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: suspension issues with a BFIII wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
The way the car steers at speed is hard to describe, the nearest I can come is, years ago I drove an early EA Fairmont and it would go from understeer going into a bend to to oversteer at the apex in the blink of an eye, that's how the wagon feels, like it's in a permanent nervous oversteer situation if you try to make a steering correction. I have to be slow and deliberate and precise turning the wheel when cornering on the highway or it oversteers, it can be very unnerving.
That's the rear steer effect I was talking about. aka Roll Oversteer (Google it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Good chance what are feeling is rear steer due to the raised rear suspension height with the live axle/re-arched leaf springs. To minimise this effect the factory places the front of the rear spring near horizontal to the road. On XR wagons/utes it's even positioned slightly lower at the front for higher speed stability - your's will be the opposite of this. That's bad.
As your wagon body rolls side to side, most noticably with big or rapid steering corrections, the rear axle is steering the car. As this is unexpected that immediately requires another steering correction. As so it goes.

A little known fact is that when Rack & Pinion steering was introduced to the utes with the XH models (XG still had a steering box, pitman arm etc) the front mounting eye of the rear springs was lowered to counter this effect. The quicker action of the R&P making the utes very nervous to drive, something that hadn't been so noticable with the slower acting steering box design.

Last edited by Raptor; 05-07-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote