View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #119
theBlake

Default Re: Grey Nomads - grumpy pains in the ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Hardly surprising, considering that we are now seeing is the retirement of the most privileged generation in history.
(and keep in mind that by definition any discussion of a "generation" is a series of massive generalisations.)
The preceding generation (my parents) grew up in the Great Depression, with fatherss who had fought in the Great War, went off to fight in WW2 and Korea, and learnt the value of humility and frugality.
In contrast, the Boomers have never know anything but prosperity.
agree with much what you have said to a point, which is encapsulated by this profund statement.

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times"

The strong men have long since retired or are dead, We are very much now in the era of weak men, the hard times will come.

IMO the most priveleged generation in our history will be the current young people. They are the "whats in it for me" generation. Hence all the sooking about not being able to afford a house.

There hasnt been a generation that ever exiisted that could easily buy houses when they were young. Everyone I ever heard of bought dogboxes or dongas in the outer suburbs for first homes, and did it hard too.