View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #78
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Talking Re: Buick 3800 V6 the BEST engine ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Thanks Dr Terry,

It's the same extra weight on the chassis/suspension parts that led to the one Territory foible - rebuilding the Control Blade and the front ball joints needing redesign (lived through both of those, wasn't so bad except for cost of IRS rebuild with nolathane bushes).

Since I've found this:

http://www.users.on.net/~%20nweber/c.../vx/index.html

Site gives more of a technical overview of each series, a bit like the old book "45 years of Holden" I have at home that finishes at VR.

Reading further on the net, I've come across some astounding owner fuel consumption claims, VX base model sedans getting highway consumptions in the 5's and 6's... although 7's are more typical.

Dad's VY wagon will sit on high 7's with a combined of about 8.4 last time for country and some town driving. I did Syd to Melb once in a diesel XTrail hire car and that returned high 7's, so it really makes the torquey Aussie 3.8 and 4.0 with a 4 speed auto look pretty good, considering petrol is cheaper than diesel and is far cheaper to maintain.

Has anyone here achieved 6L/100km highway figures with the Ecotec?
I've got a cammed 5L Caprice - I put a VT distributor in it to give it CKP and CMP sensors and converted to 8x LS2 truck coils and sequential injection from batch fire with a Wolf V550 and it dropped fuel usage from 17.5L/100km to just under 14L/100km on highway and picked up a lot of torque in part throttle driving.

The sensor resolution from a distributor for both triggers isn't the best but it works.

7L/100km would be nice but a cam and 8.4:1 compression ratio isn't a recipe for using fuel efficiently

I'm tempted to pick up an L67 Caprice as well to have some fun with.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 10-08-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: