View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Vfacts august 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Yeah there are heaps who will prefer diesel in this segment. It will probably always be at least 50% and probably a lot more than that. For many diesel still makes sense

But if say Holden chucked in their GM 5.3 petrol V8 8 speed auto combo in a Colorado at $48,990 driveaway they wouldn’t be able to keep up with demand. Good profits as the v8 is cheaper to make than a turbo diesel. They won’t do that as no one wants to be the first

With the tide turning against diesel due to complexity, repair costs, growing sensitivity to moisture in fuel, reliability and worsening consumption (while petrol is getting significantly better) I cannot imagine Hilux and Ranger remaining no1 and no.2 sellers, they will probably stay in the top 10 though. But I guess we’ll see. They could stay there for the next decade!
Diesel is a joke in smaller passenger vehicles like hatches - I've got a pre DPF Diesel Focus, does 5.5L/100km on the highway.

Old man has a Fiesta ST - makes 59KW more, the same amount of torque and does 6L/100km (has mountune package)

Uses 500ml more fuel to 100km for over 50% more power, makes the same torque, is a hell of a lot faster and the oil filter is $8 for the genuine Ford one.

It has its uses in large vehicles used for pulling heavy loads but the school run?

The only reason I have a diesel Focus was I bought it on my Ps when Victoria introduced blanket bans on forced induction vehicles aside from diesels - which they finally relaxed eventually because it banned kids from driving modern fuel efficient cars.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-09-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: