View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 12:22 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Best Last Aussie Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
They were made to be the family truckster or a hardy fleet spec work car. Leaf springs were simple, generally never required any work over the life of the car and was very easy and very cheap to upgrade should you need to carry heavy loads. Having said that, the old XR wagons still handled great so there really isn't many negatives to leaf springs aside from the obvious rough road high speed handling which is still more than manageable.

I use one for touring, I have ute 3/4t dual leafs and the back isn't even close to touching the second rate load leaf nor is it sagging. Its perfect. In coil sprung equivalents you simply cant get a coil to represent a leafs characteristics, youd have to use airbags which I thoroughly hate.
Ford sold large % of wagon sales to fleets. The fleets loved them cause they had so much space in the back, and could carry a decent load. Plus available in LPG.

Ford catered to these fleets with the late wagons. If people wanted something else they had the Territory. Something Holden never had an alternative for, hence them making the sportswagon. Which was useless for carrying anything due to it's load space which was probably half that of a Falcon wagon.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: