View Single Post
Old 23-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #102
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: First experience .. Vic law regarding passing emergency vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i don't buy in to this kind of argument.

i've travelled on the pacific mwy from GC to Bris in peak hour. 6 lane car park. yes, if you leave a gap, cars will fill it, but they don't control my car, i do. My safety is my responsibility so i'll just keep backing off if i need to. Last time i did it every day for 2 weeks and every day, i still made it home.

obviously the slower the traffic, the smaller the gap you need, but 2-3 seconds is still a good guide. if you can't see very far in front then you need to adjust accordingly.

the 'everyone else is doing it' argument is never going to fly in court.
I don't care if you buy into it, its 100% accurate on any given day.

There is a big difference between driving your family car along a freeway to being held to a tight time schedule with freight, you want that cheap Chinese **** from Kmart or Bunnings, its got to be there on time or someone pays.

You have to understand the psyche of a heavy vehicle driver, they do thousands of km's every week, not just an annual family holiday, they see and put up with ignorant drivers everyday and learn to cope with what they can and cant do whilst trying to keep to tight schedules, its only when things turn to **** like this instance where its exposed.
Do you honestly think this is the first time a truck driver has bailed to the emergency lane when something in front of him does something he's not expecting, go checkout brake marks on any given freeway for your answer, the difference here is, it was the perfect storm, the emergency stopping lane was occupied and he probably had nowhere else to go.

Now im sure someone will pipe up and say no, every other heavy vehicle driver is perfect, never have to put up with ignorant car drivers and that its all sunshine and rainbows out there, but its far from it.

The problem isn't that everyone else is doing it, the problem is that driver education and attitude is shocking in this country combined with the fact that no one is out there making people accountable until it all goes to ****.
6 users like this post: