Thread: Boost leak
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Boost leak

Man this vehicle...

Remember the time when I did the sump and had to remove the turbo charge pipe from the turbo to the plastic tubing to get it out of the way. Well on the road test it was a spot of a boost leak. That's fine I'll tighten the clamp more. And that was it it was all good.

Till last week, the missus tells me it's losing power feels jerky and the trans is whistling. I go for a test drive to see what's what and sure enough there's an issue.

There's a shoosh'ing (phonetically lol) noise, a boost leak so I suspect after these months the bloody small rubber joiner hose is to soft (I had my suspicions), it wasn't just that but it also showed signs of splitting on the ends of the inner silicon lining. So I go to ford (I try to support them where I can) and they come back with a stupid $350 price, I suspect they selected the moulded plastic charge pipe instead of the small ~70mm hose length. I try a few performance places, Perteck SCA Autobarn....nothing

It's an odd size and everyone is out of stock or doesn't stock it at all. I was suggested to try Hydraulink and low and behold they had said odd hose ID - 1" 5/8 or 41mm (I thought it were 40mm ID). He slices off a piece and says it's my lucky day, as it's under 100mm it's free. Too much paperwork for such a small size. I thank them and another guy behind the counter says " It's alright we'll just charge the next guy more..." and we all crack up. The original hose clamps were replaced with new and a test drive is underway.

This brings me to another niggling issue, on the test drive with the previous fix done I get out on the HWY and under acceleration I hear that whistling issue the missus was talking about in tune with the trans changing gear. It's not the trans at all. Remember the intake manifold cleaning I did to remove carbon, well I didn't get away with reusing the old seals/orings it's leaking boost up in the manifold and now I hear a louder shooshing up top in the engine bay. Price of two new hose clamps $13, Ford Gasket set $30.

Bugger me, the plastic charge pipe from the intercooler to the intake manifold has just split probably from being disturbed from the previous job and with the larger boost leak fixed it's given up the ghost now. The split is just below the hose clamp but it's thin plastic and moulded to the pipe, it's all one piece. Red line is where the split is. The temporary fix for now to get it going till I source a replacement charge pipe is to cut off the clamp section right along the top of the cone where the split is.

Then to use an adaptor hose piece and clamp it below the cone neck. Don't get me wrong it's flimsy at that spot and you can't clamp it hard so I had to get it just right. The cone end actually sits ontop of the intake piece so it works in my favour. I add a new SS hose clamp and give it a test to see if it'll do for now and it holds a full boost acceleration on the HWY but the intake gaskets are moaning lol. Ford want $280 and I'm trying to get word back from a wreckers, but seems it's dead on the other end.

Hose adaptor $13

SS Clamp $8

New Hose clamp to be put on at this stage.

It has been driving great this past week so the missus says but it's only for the city limits till it's been replaced.

and the Intake Manifold Gasket kit has arrived. Let this be the end of any niggling issues and get back to trouble free motoring.
2 users like this post: