View Single Post
Old 26-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #139
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The WORST Falcon model, and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62XKFalcon View Post
As a newbie to the forum as of today, I have read this thread with interest because I am doing minor restoration to a 1962 XK Falcon, which will be 60 years old next year! Original 144 Engine and matching chassis numbers! Owned several Fords over the years, my first an XL Falcon in 1964, a 440 Cortina, 84 Fairmont Ghia, 1999 Courier and driving a 2004 Courier 4Door. The XK was probably the worst Falcon, but they really did work hard to get things right and by the XP, deserved a lot of credit.
What was really wrong with the XK-L Falcons for their day ?
The got cheap 2ed rate quality steel Ball joints made in the UK, the ones in the USA were top quality ball joints.
Apart form that what was wrong with them, nothing back in the day, they were way more advanced than any crappy Holden at the time.
With the power of a big 144 high compression and Low compression could be ordered.
The Holden's only had a 138 low compression rubbish.

Just remember what the roads back in the 60's were like, so many coped a hell of flogging.

I had a ball joint fall out on my HX Holden, it was the thread and nut that let go, not the ball. maybe some idiot tightened the nut up past the specs ?

Just remember that the XK got the big 170 in the last few months as well.

But as to the worst Falcon, as to what is the real issue.

XA-B-C were the biggest rust buckets for sure.

The very first EA engines had problems with the heads, they came with a shrouded casting in the chamber that went out beside the valve to reduce emissions but they created a hot spot to ping and blow head gaskets I believe, I was working at Ford at the time and they were full on pulling heads off every day.

The biggest joke of any Falcon would have to be the EA with the 3sp auto I drove a Fairmont Ghia 3.9L EFI and 1st gear was way to high, that it could not spin the wheels taking off on grass.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: