View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 11:12 PM   #3
Mondaveo

Thumbs down Re: TDCi (apparent) head gasket failure

Well.
I've got a young family (three kids under 7) so safety and reliability are priorities for the family vehicle.
Unfortunately it looks like those were delete options on this example

We do have a fair business case for getting into a people mover (and I do like the new Carnival) but I was hoping to forestall making any kind of upgrade for at least another five years. Because finances, and I do (or I did) like my wagon.

I'll certainly continue to use it while I try to gauge how bad this leaking is over the short term. I still need to get a look under the timing cover for myself and set up a monitor on the coolant level. Maybe it won't significantly worsen, and I'll arrive at the belt change 20 year service and wiping the same little wick of seepage off the block. Or maybe she'll be kaput in six months, hard to say

What's to lose? While it's still a functional car, and the problem is minor, I could trade it in and at least get something toward replacement. If in the time it takes to understand the scope of the problem it worsens significantly then I possibly won't be able to unload it at all. But these retain so precious little of their value, I'm unsure whether that's in my favour or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote