View Single Post
Old 17-04-2022, 10:39 AM   #638
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Russia v Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
Just a casual observer who is only getting my information from western media, it seems that just about 99% of Ukraine’s targets are the invaders inside their own borders ie military targets but Russia is reported as bombing hospitals, schools, residential, shopping centres etc with massive civilian casualties as well as military targets thrown in for good measure. Why isn’t the Ukraine sending a few missiles over the border in retaliation or will this inflame things beyond all get out. Why are all other countries only providing back door assistance and sanctions and not direct assistance. Will this start the rumoured WWIII. Send Russia back to the dark ages I say.
Expand the sources of your information if you want to seek "the truth". The term "military target" is not as straight forward as it seems. Ritter explains this in this videos. Under the rules of war, if you park a tank next to the school, it becomes a military target, if you hide ammunition and snipers in apartment buildings, it becomes a military target, if you set up artillery at train stations, it becomes a military target, if you arm civilians, they become a military target. It then becomes not a war crime to make these targets. Remember, all men of military age (18 to 60) have been banned from leaving Ukraine and must take up arms. That pretty much makes them all a target?

I'm surprised there hasn't been more "civilians" deaths. Again, Ritter talks about the ratio of military to civilian deaths of past wars. According to the reported deaths at the moment, that ratio in Ukraine is way lower than the average.

I reckon Putin has a big problem. Many Russians see Ukranians (and ethnic Russians living in Ukraine) as one of the same family. He can't slaughter them with indiscriminate bombings, he would lose support on the motherland very quickly.

Why hasn't Ukraine lobbed a few back? They probably don't have the capability nor has "the west" armed them with the capability. Its interesting to note that the weapons given to Ukraine will allow them to win skirmishes and battles, not wars. Sadly, it may be in the interest of some for this war to keep going and going and going.

That's my arm chair observer's view.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
4 users like this post: