View Single Post
Old 22-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Queensland Nabs More Low Level than High Level Lead Foots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Life's short, Franco. As you get older I'm pretty sure you'll come to appreciate what some of us 'oldies' appreciate: take the time to smell the roses. Or, as per my signature, life's a journey, not a destination.

I recently heard the tragic story of a guy who died in a plane crash. My work colleague was mates with him. This guy ended up crashing his plane after striking powerlines. The investigation showed that this pilot had a history of breaking the rules. After many, many times of not having any consequences to his actions, he paid the ultimate price. Thankfully for others, he was lined up to overfly the local pub at low altitude before he struck the wires and the plane fell short of the pub. It could have very easily been a different outcome, however.

Now, I'm not suggesting for a second that your actions are dangerous. Just because you've got away with it for so long (apart from the recent gotcha) doesn't mean you'll continue to get away with it. In the safety world, particularly aviation, it's called normalisation of deviance. That is exactly what is happening here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalization_of_deviance
I don't think I will, I score high on reactance and I'm someone who is more inclined to engage in risky behavior than the average person.

I'm quite interested in that link to normalisation of deviance, I haven't heard of that before and it makes sense (seems to be associated with aviation).
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: