Thread: Ford IDS
View Single Post
Old 16-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #10
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: Ford IDS

The next best thing is the Ford FMP - also available from Motorcraft - which is a cut down version of IDS. That software is subscription based and you can purchase as little as a day at a time. It works with industry-standard J2534 devices which can be had for as little as $300. It is targetted at non-Ford workshops for module swaps - it is only good for module programming - not doing DTC or real-time troubleshooting. But I have used it to program ford modules, do ICC swaps, key training, enable cruise controls, enable Police mode and even trigger the gear-change tone available in FPV clusters. With voltage applied at the right time to a certain pin on the OBD2 port on a BA, I've even been able to do factory PCM flash updates.

Because FMP and IDS share much the same code, I've heard rumours that earlier versions of FMP could have IDS files swapped in and full functionality was then available on FMP via the J2534 tool. Whether that's possible these days or not is another question.

The IDS and FMP software themselves are both a free download. But you need the compatible hardware and a subscription to make either of them work.

Lukeyson