View Single Post
Old 30-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
downthetrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoink
I travel between Sydney and Cairns at least twice a year and gave up using the Pacific Hwy years ago.
The best route I’ve found south from Townsville is to take the Bruce Hwy to Rocky then the Capricorn Hwy out of rocky and onto the Leichhardt Hwy which takes you south through Banana, Miles and Goondiwindi.
From Goondiwindi take the Newell Hwy to Narrabri then the Kamilaroi Hwy till it meets the New England Hwy.
Ive have no problems towing a 6mtr boat along this route.
The speed limit is 100 on most, with three 110 limits, North of Rocky, south of Goondiwindi and part of the Kamilaroi.
That's the way I would be taking as well, you will encounter far less traffic for the most part as most of the dropkicks stay on the Bruce and Pacific Highways. Banana, Goondiwindi, Narrabri all have 24hr fuel (Miles should too but have never looked), Is bitumen all the way, but kangaroos are plenty if night driving.
There is also the option of the New England Highway Rockhampton, Biloela, Monto, Goomeri, Toowoomba, Warwick etc, But has plenty of ups and downs so won't be the best with a trailer attached but still better traffic wise than the Bruce and Pacific.
downthetrack is offline   Reply With Quote