View Single Post
Old 25-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #247
El Caballo
Token American

Default Newb to the AU and to Brizzy

Hello everyone, my name is Ted but my interwebs handle has been El Caballo for over ten years. I used to write for the newsletter for the Carolina Regional Mustang Club and the header for the column was El Caballo which in Spanish means "The Horse". Now I hail from Houston Texas but I've lived in lots of places, its just Houston is where I have my home right now. I live here in Brizvegas working on a project for BHP that is in Mackay. I'm not new to Oz as I had been living in WA for the past year and a half working on another BHP project. I lived in Perth on Scarborough Beach, it was heaven, so because I enjoyed that they sent me down to Bunbury. Nice little town, but I was having much more fun in Perth. But now I'm in Brizzy and thus far I like it fine. I'll be moving from the hotel in the CBD out to Northgate into a neat little Queenslander and I look forward to getting settled in.

Now for cars; I've been a Ford guy since I could remember, although to be honest I have a guilty secret of loving Cadillacs as well. My first car I bought was back in 1984 for $500, it was a 1966 Mustang coupe. Back then it was just another 17 year old car; how about now? I've owned four other pony cars after that and waiting at home for me is my 2007 Mustang GT. I've owned a few foreign cars, but for the exception of my '69 Merc 280S and an '87 Honda Civic, they have all been more of a PITA than they were worth. I got rid of the 260E that I was driving in WA, while it was mostly trouble free, mostly that is, it won't pass RWC here to get rego. I won't even get into what just the parts and labour would cost, suffice to say I could buy another car with that money. As it happens, I did, and I had money left over.

I bought a '99 AU Futura, 218k, silver in colour and in decent nick as y'all say. I'm to pick it up this Friday. I realize that it is a Series 1 car, but it is a survivor and whoever had it previously actually cared for it, log book and all. Believe me, I've seen some pretty ratty AU2 and AU3's in my search for a car. I'm not sure it is really any worse than having an E series Falcon or a later AU or even a BA for that matter. It will have its own peculiarities is all really. Fortunately I'm pretty handy with my tools and I have a bunch here with me. Additionally I have a bunch of mates from a traditional hot rodding car club that I belong to here in Brizzy who are always ready to turn a wrench and drink a beer with.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. I hope to learn heaps about the ins and outs of Falconry here. Thanks...

Ted aka El Caballo

El Caballo is offline   Reply With Quote