View Single Post
Old 29-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #1059
the ford fan
Starter Motor

Default Re: Show us your coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull View Post
Just to clear a few things up here:

The XC Fairmont GXL came with the "Alloy Sports Road Wheel" (its proper name) as standard, as did the XC Fairmont Hardtop. For a limited time only in 1977, the XC Fairmont Hardtop was fitted with the "Alloy Volante" wheel. I believe for a period of 3 to 6 months (Steve will correct me here if I am wrong). The Fairmont Hardtops then reverted back to the Alloy Sports Road Wheel until final Hardtop production.

In 1978, as a run out of the Fairlane, the ZH Fairlane 'Sportsman' was born. This car was fitted with the Alloy Volante's. Note that this was still a JH37 code, not the JH63. The JH63 Sportsman was that of the ZJ and ZK Fairlane Sportsman (also fitted with Alloy Volante's but named differently - see below). This same style Alloy Volante was also being currently used on the Cortina's.

Come the XD, the Faimont Ghia was fitted with the Alloy Sports Road Wheel (GXL wheel as we know it), but the "Volante Sports Alloy Road Wheels" (Alloy Volante's - ZH Sportsman and interim Fairmont Hardtop wheel), was an option for the XD's. At the same time, the ZJ Fairlane Sportsman was fitted with the Volante Sports Alloy Road Wheels as standard.

With respect to the XE Fairmont Ghia, it now had the 15" Snowflakes. Whereas the ZK Sportsman had the same Volante Sports Alloy Road Wheels as the ZJ Sportsman. Note that the runout ZK Fairlanes had the Sports Alloy Road Wheels (GXL style) wheels as well. With the XE, you could still option the "Alloy Road Wheels" (GXL style) if you liked.

In summing up, there were two types of mag wheel commonly available at the time;

- Sports Alloy Road Wheel
- Alloy Volante Road Wheel

And the names changed slightly throughout 1977 - 1984.

And yes, there was also the Globe, but we are not talking about those at the moment.
And are they all the same size. I'm looking for the originals dated For the xe 14x6 as stated in the factory repair manual but am yet to even see one. Has anyone?
the ford fan is offline   Reply With Quote