View Single Post
Old 17-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #786
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Hackney,
Ford stayed in manufacturing here long after most would have pulled up stumps and left,
the fact that so many years yielded little or no profit was purely and simply because most of
the funding and resource spending done here, stayed here and didn't get siphoned back to the USA.

Now compare that to your non-involved free market where the greater part of our vehicles
come from Asian manufacturers. Yes, we lift the 10% GST from all vehicles as before but
that's not an import tax and their profits on vehicles sold in Australia are now price transferred
beyond the government's reach. It's that drain away from the days when Ford and Holden
dominated sales and all that earnings and business activity was here - that's what's been lost
with low cost Asian cars and the ending of the local car industry, massive bleed off of revenue
leaving our country - we're being pilfered blind.

Ford, GM and Toyota basically left because the government gave them no reason to stay.
We used to encourage investment in this country, now we're only too happy to tell them go FO to Asia.

Ford is still here developing vehicles and generating some business activity, it just on another level.
I spend way too much time with my head glued to finance figures and charts, and the pendulum is swinging the other way gents. We've had peak globalism and peak asian mercantilism. Its days are numbered. The Aussie government will be late to pick this up but the States has now changed its course after losing millions of jobs and much industry. So now those of you with skills, begin to look around you, what could you make? Here's someone way smarter than I discussing just this, excuse the site linked just focus on his message:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...alization-here

Also, I was in an idyllic location talking to young mechanical engineering students from the 'States recently, and their future was exciting: electric coming on, job prospects after graduation, all systems go. What can we say to our young who study in this field, apart from "be prepared to travel"? One young Aussie mech engineering graduate I talked to on a ski lift (lifestyles of the rich & Sprintey...) could not see much opportunity after his holiday and would have to go abroad. Quite sad when you think about what we had. We don't really save as consumers on a new Corolla or a new Thai ute, either. We pay top dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73

Ok back on topic I think I've said this before, but Australian car manufacturing may have stood a better chance if they built Hatchbacks, medium SUVs and 4x4 dual cab utes. That's all the people want these days it seems.

Given the other thread, can someone render an AU1 Forte hatchback?
sheesh! that ought to have come with a disclaimer! well played, sir.