View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #259
BammasAUIIIXR8

Default Re: Cobra build no's

I bought #358 from the Trading Post in 1996. It was outside Nanango in country Qld so got up early in Brisbane and was the first one there on a Saturday morning. Didn't know a lot about the history of Cobras and what to look for but took a gamble. I had to go into town to find an ATM to put down a deposit and, by the time I got back, there were 4 groups of men trying to convince the owner to sell it to them. Thankfully he was honest and said 'first in best dressed'. I didn't have the cash to buy it outright so had to borrow from Avco(does anyone remember them...) at a substantial interest rate. When people saw the condition it was in, I was told I was mad... We drove it as a daily driver for years and even transported it to NSW while we lived there for a while - until we could no longer fake a Qld address and it was never passing NSW rego. It was taken back to bare metal in 2008 and professionally restored over a 12 mth period. The engine, gearbox, brakes, exhaust etc were all done at the same time - the engine getting some 'magic' parts allegedly by an ex Dick Johnson Racing mechanic from the 70's/80's. Unfortunately, the restorer went bust a year or so after I got my car back because the owner got very sick and couldn't manage the workload. With them went all my pictures of the restoration - yes I should have downloaded them and actually thought I had, but can't find them... The interior is yet to be done - even though I have had the material safely stored for 12 years. Also, the fuel pumps bladder has deteriorated so am looking for a mechanic in Brisbane North to fix it and service the engine. For business reasons I am probably going to have to sell it in the next 3-6 months as I have other priorities now so if anyone can recommend a Trimmer or mechanic, I'd be grateful.
Here's a photo of the car (I hope) :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobra_358.jpg (134.8 KB, 82 views)
BammasAUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: