View Single Post
Old 27-05-2022, 07:10 PM   #959
PhilT2

Default Re: Russia v Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
There are reports that Russian forces have captured territory in Ukraine roughly the size of Spain (sourced from Sky News so not sure how true). They also seem to have control of the Zaporizhia NPP, largest in Europe, key strategic ports, and access to the Black Sea and Sea of Azov. All this whilst using old ineffective equipment against $billions of sophisticated weapons. Yikes.
The truth is usually the first thing to die in a war but some facts are easy to check. If the Russians had captured an area the size of Spain that would be about 85% of Ukraine (Spain 500,000sqkm Ukraine 600,000sqkm) What the Russians actually control is a strip of the coastline about 159k wide and maybe 1000km long. They do have control of most of Ukraine's ports. Not that it matters; they control the Black Sea so even if Ukraine could load ships they couldn't go anywhere.

Ritter claims that farmers in Ukraine are not planting this years crop of wheat. I doubt this is true; I've seen reports that between 50-80% has been done. The issue is what happens when it is harvested. The silos are still full with last years crop and many are in Russian hands anyway. Putin has no reason to make any concessions, the shortage will force up prices worldwide and Russia as a major grain producer will do nicely. So will Australia.

I think Ukraine will continue to lose ground at least until many of the new weapons have reached the front and troops have become competent in their use. Training up reinforcements will also take time. This is all a long way from over.