View Single Post
Old 23-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
leesa

Default Re: Sick of thieves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
They prey on the fact that most people are ignorant on anything mechanical and won't check the work done afterwards. Females naturally become the most victims.
I had a control arm bush wear out and get squeaky but didn't have the tools or know-how to replace it so I called around to get a shop to do it. The first shop I called insisted on me "bringing the car over for a look first" but didn't actually even look at it when I got there. Some guy laid on his back on the ground, looked briefly under my car and then got up. He wasn't even looking near the bushing that I was talking about.

He gets my details, says he'll fill out a work sheet/quote and email it to me. Quote comes in later that day...... for $1900! Wow! As if!
So I called another shop and had a new bush supplied and fitted for about $170 from memory.

The first shop got back in touch to say they hadn't heard back about my quote so I told them I'd already had it done for $170 somewhere else and it seemed like they were trying to rip me off with their $1900 quote. There was a lot of fumbling and the guy says that my quote was to replace all of the upper and lower rear control arms AND all the bushes. That sounded like a load of crap to me because the work sheet clearly listed just replacement of the one bush that I'd referred to.

Trying to find a good shop is really hard. Trying to find a good shop as a chick is even harder. Please consider helping your female friends and family when you can, even if it's just with advice
5 users like this post: