View Single Post
Old 11-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
buddha
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
The acceleration figures sound possible - highly strung engines can hide their torque deficit during standing start acceleration and the 6 speed will help mask that further. Think Honda S2000 - hardly any torque down low, but rev it out and you'll find those 176kW somewhere in that 2.0.
I agree with Lagom ... I remember in the mid-to-late 90's when they compared Commodore, Falcon, Magna & Camry V6, the Camry was always at or near the front in acceleration, even though the bigger cars had a torque-to-weight advantage.

I wonder if there is maybe less power/torque loss in FWD than RWD, perhaps.

Its a bit of a pointless exercise, as impressive as the Aurion may be, I personally feel that there is a massive traditionalist following for the RWD cars, where a good chunk of Falcon or Commodore buyers opt for them because they have RWD, and you'll never get them to drive an Aurion, 380, Sonata or any other FWD sedan.

I can't pinpoint why, but I've owned various FWD cars since 1991, and having just bought my first Falcon (95 EF Futura), there's something quite comforting about knowing its RWD, even though I haven't driven it in any way where the car would behave in a way that I could tell the difference.

If that makes sense!

Current Ford: 1996 EF Fairmont
Previous Fords: 1996 EF XR8 - 1995 EF Futura - 1993 WA Festiva - 1991 WA Festiva - 1979 TE Cortina
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote