View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #87
Dirty32

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
my advice, have a plan and stick to it. don't be seduced by the money and live too lavish a lifestyle like me. i've earned good coin for 20+ years and got bugger all to show for it as i live a bloody nice lifestyle. mining isn't something you want to do as a lifelong occupation and can set you up for life if you are smart about it...
^^ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work for BHP (as a Recruiter, in Perth) and we have a ******** of work on at the moment. We are growing all the time, looking at opening a new mine a year for the next 6 years or something... Most of the operator type jobs will be with Contractors though.

What is quoted above cannot be more true!

The amount of guys i know that start out with the best intentions... Get out there for a couple years and pay a house off, is all rubbish. You soon get used to the money, have loads of material things and as a result of FIFO, miss watching your children grow up, Marriage or relationships break down or your missus cheats on you coz your never around... Lots of pitfalls to selling yourself for the money you can potentially earn.

Loads of old codgers on site who have fallen into the trap and will still be up there in 10 years time, with nothing to show for it other than toys!

If, on the other hand you treat it right, make some coin, set yourself up and get out, props to you!!
Dirty32 is offline   Reply With Quote