View Single Post
Old 13-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #237
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Grey Nomads - grumpy pains in the ***

For some people, a trip away is about the journey. For others, its about the destination.

And sometimes, that will change depending on the details of the journey/destination, including the purpose of the trip itself.

I remember when the wife and I went on our honeymoon to New York. We decided to do a organised, 2 day, one night trip to Niagara Falls. When we set out, it was all about the destination. But when we got home, we realised that it was actually the journey (spending time to get to know people we would otherwise never have known/met, visiting places along the way that we would otherwise not have considered (such as a winery overlooking the finger lakes, visiting Watkins Glen), etc) that we enjoyed the most.

Don't get me wrong, it was nice to visit a destination like Niagara, it was just that the journey ended up being a greater highlight for us than the destination.

I was so influenced by our experience (there was only 8 of us on the Ford bus and it was an intimate (if I can use that word) experience) that I seriously considered starting up my own business doing small group bus tours out of Melbourne into Gippsland.

When researching that, I was told by numerous people in the tourism business that the Japanese, for example, are all about the destination, and not the journey. To the point that they will, on a trip to Philip Island to see the penguins for example, set up a video camera on the bus to record the scenery of the trip to and from the destination, sleep whilst travelling, and then watch the video when they get back home after their vacation has finished.

Personally, that is not something that i would be able to do.

But as you guys have said, each to their own.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: