View Single Post
Old 14-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #56
markxr6t

Default Re: Will AU XR8 220's be a collectable car.

In my humble opinion, the AU 220, particularly the series 3, will eventually become as desirable as an ED XR8 Sprint is now. Don't know if "desirable" is the same as collectable though...

I base my opinion on:
1. It was internationally Ford's final factory installation of a 5.0 / 302 Windsor and perhaps the Windsor's finest hour other than the T series T3.
2. The whole individually hand - built thing and signature plate.
3. Unique bits like Tickford engraved 70mm throttle body, engine oil cooler and 220 engine cover mean that being "genuine" will be important.
4. With only 350 odd Series III manuals made - such low numbers support future desirability.
5. The unique frontal treatment also enhances its exclusivity from other AUs.

In fact, I've just bought a manual series 3 XR8 for significantly less than $10k and I can't think of anything else that so effectively combines old school muscle with modern engineering, refinement, safety and dynamics. Also have a SII XR8 auto dual fuel that I love. Not sure how long I can keep 2 XR8s for....

In summary, I think it does fall into the category of cars that you may sell now and in 20 years wish you still had it or ogle over examples at car shows or that drive by. Its these emotions that drive old car prices up.
markxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote