View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #46
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Before i go any further, if you can walk from your tent to your car you are glamping, not camping...
Glamping is campings softer cousin.
1 male and 3 females. my options are limited

Quote:
First thing i would do is whip down to bunnings and buy some plastic sheeting to put down as a drop sheet, i just bought a couple of meters of the orange stuff on a roll, stops any foreign objects from piercing your floor.
Especially if you plan on using those camp stretchers, they are shocking for damaging the floor.
We use self inflating mats, they have insulation to protect from ground cold whilst stowing away compact for travelling, the stretchers never leave the shed these days.
i have ground covers for under the tent. my wife and i and my eldest (15) will be on self inflating mattresses and my youngest (7) will be on a stretcher. we have one of those roll out ground sheet mats for the stretcher and bought those square tile foam things to put under the matresses. bought enough to cover a 2.5 x 1.9 so basically 2/3's of the floor in the sleeping room. hopefully that insulates from the cold a bit.

Quote:
I notice your talking National Parks, can i suggest Mt Remarkable National Park.
Its half way between Pt Pirie and Pt Augusta, just past Pt Germein.
Mambray Creek camp ground is about as good as it gets unless you go all the way to Wilpena Pound.

The sites vary in size, many have good fire pits with swing away cook plates and all are within a few minutes walk of free hot showers and toilets.
They have running water at most sites or close by and free bbq's at the trail head.
Talking about trail heads, if bush walking is your thing, not much compares to Mt Remarkable and the numerous walks cater for beginners through to experienced overnighters.
The scenery is spectacular, there is an old shepheards hut about 4k up the creek where i have sat and cooked lunch of snags and pasta for 3 adults and 2 kids in nothing more than a trangia cooker.
If you prefer the beach, Pt Germein is 10 minutes away, we usually take our kayaks and do a bit of both.
You can view and pre pay for sites through the National Parks site, check it out.

A couple of our current set up gear..

In the kayak is me old mate, Bob, ****s mad as a cut snake but he's an early riser and happy to get the bacon sizzling and the pot on so he is this campers best friend.
yes, for this first time we are planning to camp in the naracoorte caves national park. the campsite doesn't have much in the way of reviews, but the ones i've come across aren't that great, but we figured it would be a start and we want to see the caves which is why we are camping around that area.
In the future, there are some great campsites around not far from my doorstep (by that i mean not interstate) so in future its nice to know the options are plentiful. i don't mind bushwalking and hiking, but as mentioned at the top, i'm the only male, and my daughters are 7 and 15, so that limits what we can do (as a family anyway).

most sites i notice now you can pay online. makes it easy to just turn up and set up.

as for the overthinking bit, if i was on my own or just with a mate or 2, then sure, just wing it, but i sure don't want to be camped out with a miserable family because we didn't bother to plan.

so far most of the feedback hasn't really turned up anything that i wasn't already thinking of, so thats a good start.

i would like to hear more about power sources though. yes, i know some will say just go without for a few nights, but to each their own.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: