View Single Post
Old 28-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Is the LPG excise purely to repay the LPG-rebate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
$80 per week = $4k per year.

In 5 years you save $20k (in theory)

Meanwhile you have lost $50k on your new GT-P ($30k on your XR6), used $8k worth of tyres, paid $5k in rego etc.

OR drive a bubble car as it just getting you to uni and back and save just as much in fuel, much lower resale loss, much lower tyre cost, much lower rego cost etc.

Remember it is NEW cars not 10 year old clunkers that are the subject here.

You also drive on the same route daily withing an urban area, just like a taxi really......
Ok your assuming again.

This thread has nothing to do with rego (Im sorry your state rips you guys off), depreciation (yes you seem to enjoy it) or running costs (non fuel) or the age of cars.

The excise doesnt sudden evaporate because you drive an older car...its constant. Which you know so I dont know why you are bothering down that path, or this thread when its quite clear that you just dont like LPG (for whatever reason)

For many people it makes perfect sense. Remember products are built for the majority of the population and if the rest catch on because the can or want to then great.

And not that it matters but since you brought it up, my route (on average) consists of 60% @ 100kph and the rest urban. We also own a four pot of the same vintage as the LPG car we have and its factory ADR combined cycle is 7.9l/100.

I know for a fact that under the same condition on the same route my LPG car is cheaper to run. If it was 100% urban it might be a different story, but its not, and I use the Falcon for long distance driving because thats what it is good at. I am not cramped, and can carry more stuff, its not revving its tits off, I can tow, the kids have room in the back etc etc

So yes its my taxi in essence, and a damn fine one at that. Its saves me money and save me driving a bubble car. In the mean time I can spend money on other things that actually matter, not fueling my car. The car is nothing but the opposite of impractical.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote