View Single Post
Old 24-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #42
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Default Re: Most Reliable and DIY Ford Ute?

As always opinion worth what you paid for it...

I have an AU3 auto 6cyl 3 seat steel tray. I've also got a EL we bought in 2002 ad had an NL and a EF.

The NF tranny was on the way out at 320k kms. All the others have been fine. The AU has a cooler and a 2300 kg tow bar.

I thought the brakes on my au3 were different to AU2 ? I do come across a lot of parts listed as fitting AU3 but not earlier cars, but parts lists are unreliable these days.

I would not have a manual. I have enough trouble towing as is. Some jobs on the AU are pigs, like the intake manifold. Generally they are easy enough to work on and well understood here. I doubt a B series would be easier.

Personally I prefer riving the EF/EL to the AU,and absolutely hate the B series. YMMV. Initially I didn't like the AU, but it was a tool to do a job.Over time I've grown to like it more and more. Did brisbane to tassy, 3 weeks and home again 2 years ago. I let it get hot, did a coil, took me a while to get to the bottom of what was wrong. Now it's good. I wouldn't want to drive all day in a jap/tai ute.

Economy depends on how you use it. Low k diesels eat fuel savings in maintenance. My neighbour is a builder does 15k/yr. I recommended he get a petrol hilux and it works well for him.

Geelong isn't a country town anymore. Do you really want to face that traffic in a manual ? The boss is born and bred there and we stayed a few days before boarding the ferry. Traffic is shocking. Not brisbane shocking but shockingly shocking anyway
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: