View Single Post
Old 30-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #18
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 
Default Re: Photobucket... WTF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
It is problematic certainly but not impossible.

Image links are stored in the database as URL's and the bulk of the Tech Portal docs use images hosted here. It is easy enough (using database commands) to amend the URL for a hosted image to another one as long as the image name hasn't changed. It's a basic find and replace task that can be done per user or per thread.

Yes it is not ideal but we'll go through the exercise for anyone who wants to do so.

Cheers
Russ
I'm keen to give this a go.

So as I understand it so long as I copy all of my Photobucket library to a new service and leave the file names intact your program/robot will be able to go through all of my threads and modify the URLs to suit the new remote server?

Russell, is there a hosting service you can recommend? I don't mind paying so long as it's like say $20/yr and not $400! I've looked at Imgur but I'm not sure.

Once it's done I'll put up an instructional thread.

I'm guessing PB has been bought out and the new owners have seen a brilliant way to make a lot of money. Only it's not going to work. It's akin to ransom ware.