View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta Options not available in Oz

Auto Lights and Auto Wipers

Sensor and Roof Loom: The light sensor and the rain sensor are in a little module that sits just behind the interior mirror attached to the windscreen. It has a 3 pin plug that connects to the roof loom. The 3 pins are for GND, +ve and for an ISO Serial Comms line that feeds to the GEM. The roof loom for this needs the connector for the sensor. The standard roof loom on the WQ XR4 is part 6S6Y-14335-AE. The roof loom that would have the sensor connector is 6S6Y-14335-BE (5/10/05 to 3/8/08) or BF (3/8/07 to 30-9-08). Loom 14335 patches to loom 14401 - which is the main body loom.

The sensor has part number 3S7T 17D547-AC. But a brief lookup shows that the sensor looks to be the same on the WT fiesta, and some other models, like some models of Mondeo/Focus.

Main/Body Loom. WQ XR4 shipped with loom 6S6Y-14401-NEC which has no heated windsreen, no daytime running lamps, but has side airbags, seatbelt warning, ABS, ESP. Everything I see on that loom seems to indicate that the options are about side airbags, ABS, ESP (which are separate features on the Fiesta), Heated Windscreen, DRL (what headlights have DRL I wonder?). There doesn't seem to be any differences between auto lights/auto wipers/auto climate on these. So lets assume no change on the main loom. Phew. It goes everywhere. 14401 patches to Dash and Cabin loom 14K024

Dash and Cabin Loom. WQ XR4 came with loom 6S6T-14K024-DLH and lists as 5 Sp MAN, Manual AC with ESP. There are no specifics about auto wipers or lights, so I will assume for now that no change is required.

Switchgear. The wiper stalk does not appear to have any difference between auto and standard/variable intermittent wipe. The light switch, however, does need to change to add the ‘auto’ option. The std part number is 6S6T 13A024-DA, but the part with the auto lamps and all the front and rear fog options is 6S6T 13A024-BA.

Relays and Fuses. There’s no relay needed for the wipers, as all the same mechanisms from the GEM are used to run them. But for the auto headlights, there seems to be an extra relay that runs in parallel to the existing relays. The auto-lights relay is in the wiring diagrams LF38 on connector C-418, which is part of the 14401 body loom and looks to be in the CJB fuse box. It uses Fuse 31, 10A in the Central Junction Box enclosure. - which is in behind the glove Box. So I go and inspect based on where F31 and C418 are on the CJB map:

So I took a photo to find out what actually is in the car now. And lo, there is already an auto-lights relay in C418 (!) AND there is a 10A fuse in F31. Imagine all those relays and fuses sold in Aus spec XR4's that have NEVER been used!

GEM. Now here is where my information runs a bit dry. The GEM uses the information from the auto light switch setting and the sunload/light/rain sensor to trigger lights on and a wiper movement. All the lines for the wipers exist already. In fact, the GEM is programmed to run the wipers when the washer pump is triggered, without the wipers being turned on. Also, with all the relays already in place, all we need is the switch position and sunload sensor, and the GEM should be able to send an output to automatically turn the lights on. So is this something that is programmable via the IDS to turn the feature on? Or are there various GEM part numbers with these hard coded? I can only find a very small list of part numbers for the GEM, so I am crossing my fingers that this is programmable. There were really only 2 BEM's on Oz spec cars - high and low. (There was a black alarm one as well at the very start). But most settings on those were programmable. The only way to know is to hook up an IDS and have a look.

Summary: It looks like we should just need a light switch, a roof loom and a Rain/Light sensor, and – fingers crossed – turn some features on the existing GEM and we’re good to go with auto lights and auto wipers.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 07-03-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: