View Single Post
Old 17-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 
Default Leaking Windscreen - How to Fix

There have been a few instances within these forums of what seams to be either a leaking windscreen, or a leaking firewall from a crack, that allows water into the cabin and onto the feet of the driver. This actually turns out to be a faulty spot weld under the wiper cowling. This how to shows you how to inspect and fix this issue.

Cost
For me it cost nothing as I already had the tools required at home, but it could be done for under $20 if you didn't have any silicon, or $40 if you had no tools, or couldn't borrow any

Tools required
Small flat headed screw driver
Medium Philip head screw driver (stumpy version is better)
Ratchet with 10mm socket, 13mm socket and extension bars
Silicon of any colour + Gun (or another type of sealant)

Step 1
Using the small screwdriver, remove the bolt covers on the wiper arms, and using your hands remove the weather seal that is in between the cowling and the engine bay

Step 2
Using the 13mm socket and ratchet undo both bolts holding the wiper arms to the motor. With draw the arms from vehicle.
Using the Phillips headed screw driver, undo the 5 scrivet's across the front of the cowling cover (2 in drivers side cover, 3 in the other)

Wiper arm Bolts

Scrivit location

Step 3
Maneuver cowling covers from the vehicle. This is very fiddle because of the tabs that are on each cover. Begin with the drivers side cover first. There are tabs that locate it to the windscreen (not Clips) and to each quarter panel. You may need to push down slightly on the cowling at the quarter panel to assist in removing it

Cowling removed

Step 4
Disconnect the wiper motor wiring and push out the grommet that the wiring enters the cowling through. Pull the harness and plug through the hole.
Using the 10mm socket and ratchet, undo the 5 bolts/nuts (3 bolts, 2 nuts) that hold the wiper motor assembly to the vehicle and withdraw from the vehicle (fiddly again)

Wiring harnes and gromet

Bolt location

Nut location

Step 5
Inspect the weld. If you think this is the cause, silicon it up, if not reverse the steps and put your car back together. Or you may want to silicon it just in case

Silicon in place. I didn't like the look of either weld so i did both

Step 6
Put you car back together in the reverse of the steps provided, taking care to line your windscreen wipers when you re-install them. This is a case of put them on in the approximate position, test them, and re-position if necessary. You should be able to see on your windscreen to approximate place where the wipers wipe.

Step 7
Clean up and enjoy a beer while marveling at your car modding abilities.

Cheers

superroo is offline   Reply With Quote
11 users like this post: