View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #15
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: vFacts December 2020 and the end of year summary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
I could elaborate further but we're getting off topic so my last comment.

Happy for you to correct me where i am wrong. I said hybrids not full BEV.

.... it is a good stepping stone into a full BEV... transition into Hybrids then into BEV.

Whatever you say
Yep, exactly what I said, proof is in the sales too. Seen RAV4 Hybrid sales lately?

Quote:
Mate, links you provide laud Norway for its EV take up and also it's proposal to remove ICE from 2025. Do you not find this a tad hypocritical considering Norway is the worlds 8th largest oil producer and they export most of it to other countries as its a cash cow !!!!! Classic NIMBY syndrome and hard to give them any credence.
My comments are not focused on the environmental aspect of EVs, that is a grey area, my comments were around sales of electric cars. They are heavily incentivising it and along with other countries moving to a non petrol future, this will influence car makers, whether you like it or not.

Quote:
Then you highlight 10 countries that are listed as phasing out ICE anywhere from 2030-50 when it only means registration of new cars from those times so new ICE cars will still be needed up until 2030-50 and then used beyond.

As I said ICE will be with us and especially in Oz for a long time yet.
Erm, you're aware of how long it takes to develop an engine? It isn't overnight and the company will expect a healthy ROI, normally over years.
2030 onwards may be long away for you, but to car makers that isn't far and are planning for product now. If you cannot sell a product to a major market (those listed) as they ban that particular engine then there is no incentive to invest in a new engine. Adding to this is the upcoming Euro 7 compliance. Again heavy investment.

Australia? pfft, a backwater, selling stuff all cars and not worth the hassle. We sold 900k cars in 2019 and 2020. The UK sold 1.7m in 2020 that was a 30% reduction due to COVID. ICE will be here as long as companies are willing to send refined fuel and consumers are willing to pay. New ICE (non Hybrid) will begin to decline as car companies try to wean consumers off ICE.