View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Re: A question to compter hardware experts

The new Threadripper AMD CPUs mince the best normal CPU's most machines have at the moment. Yes they are super expensive, but that tech will become main stream soon enough. And the Ryzen CPU's have caught Intel napping, so CPU power is jumping currently.

Boson is also correct, SSD's changed computing for years to come.

There is still work going on with Quantum computers and they as with anything will trickle down into home entertainment/offices everywhere.

I.T. is such a HUGE industry, I can not for the life of me see why trillions of dollars poured into new tech will see us hit the ceiling of computing power anytime soon.

Personally I think it comes down to what you ask your laptop to do, not current or upcoming tech limits. I had a great little MSI Dragon series gaming laptop (2015) and it was awesome, ran everything I wanted up until 2018-19. Really loved it, but I realised that the biggest restriction I found that I couldn't compensate for was the insane power GPUs have now. I also realised that no amount of upgrading of laptops would ever be worth the $$ compared to updating a PC GPU every few years if needed.

I left the high powered Gaming laptop and went back to the trusty tower, and couldn't be happier. If and when my gtx 1080 can no longer handle games I want to play (of which I do enjoy), I'm very confident that my Ryzen CPU will still be able to cope with a GPU upgrade.

Bought a newer spec PC, a decent middle of the road laptop for remote office work AND a little notebook for overseas training programs for less than another high end gaming laptop (at an affordable non Alienware budget).

If all you use your machine for is regular word processing and not power hungry games and some video editing of your family holidays, laptops do last a long time. But as soon as you want to play seriously power hungry gaming titles at good FPS rates, edit amateur and higher level advertising and training videos and smashing out content for digital media and the insane advertising world of the internet... a laptop a few years old really becomes a drag!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: