View Single Post
Old 21-01-2023, 10:08 AM   #117
LaserLikeFocus

Unhappy Re: Just a Survey: How many Kilometers Your Focus has Done?

UPDATE

2007 CL LS Focus Sedan in Jeans Blue (Smooth Pack) for 20,990 AUD (2007 prices)

18/5/2007 - 2/4/2021

337,490 km (IIRC) (at least). Very close to 340 k km.

Died of old age, I think the seals/rings and gaskets went. When it went there was the billowing of white smoke, no power and it did not want to change gear. Suspected clutch but mechanic who bought it off me for parts said nope, more likely I was smelling coolant.

Much work

New engine mounts (me)
New serpentine & AC belt (me)
New stupid bonnet key
Flushed radiator a couple of times (me)
Stupid spark plus bolt chewed tapped threads and there was one eventually that would not come out
Did a lot of servicing myself, services were generally good here and at independent mechanics or dealers
Got the death rattles (SWIRL FLAPS) in 2019 IIRC whilst traveling through Khnacoban to Jindabyne then back down Eucumbene to Talbingo

Biggest issue really was the brake discs needed rehoning a couple of times after about 150k km. Got ripped off once on that, Northern Beaches.

I also reckon they were a bit hard on batteries the old Focuses, but maybe I needed a new alternator. I had electrical failure once, on the hill out past Goulburn coming back up to Sydney. Pulled over, restart, no issues.

Then there was the seatbelt warning indicator which was incorrectly programmed and turned on whenever I reversed no matter what when I first got it. I never had to drive backwards when I drove it out of the lot on delivery!

Car was great until after 220 k km, still drove okay out to about 280k km, then it was an absolute box.

Car quality, comfort, performance definitely dropped after 180k km.

Drive a VW Jetta and a Prado now, but I loved that silly little blue car. From new.

They are safe up to about 140 km / 155 km per hour, but over 145 km the engine struggles. At 170 km/hr, I totally do not recommend, they get airborne.

As bad as a 1982 VH Commodore doing 185 km /hr.

As the car aged, the plugs got noticeably more dirty.

It was a very easy car to look after. EXCEPT for the stupid AC pipe outlet that got clogged with pollen and flooded my car. I actually enjoyed fixing this little car. Despite the skinned knuckles and swearing, it was great.
LaserLikeFocus is offline   Reply With Quote