View Single Post
Old 29-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #65
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: DSC - What does it ACTUALLY do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
I'm just at odds with the Eliminates understeer comment in all due respect, thousands of race car drivers and cars in general suffer from this all the time, this is why race cars struggle for the 50/50 weight, I'm sure if they knew putting DCS in they could take corners at 100 mph, it might even shave 100 kg of the heavy front end boss falcons. I'm not laughing at anyone but its a tall statement, perhaps helps understeer is a better comment.

I may be in the past but I don't want computers driving for me, I'm dead against driverless cars. I work with computers on a engineering level and they sure aren't trouble/error free, ive always been a Indy type guy and not Formula 1. Drivers aids blahh.
Well let me put it to you this way. It eliminates understeer under normal driving conditions. The average driver isn't taking corners at 100mph, they're taking corners at like 40kph, even less under bad conditions. For the non race driver who's just getting places and obeying the road laws (news flash mate, that 95% of drivers!) it effectively emilinates understeer. You can feel the car start to slip but the system brings it back in line, so you just perpetually feel like its about to go and slide but it never actually goes.

Driver aids were never created for race driving or any form of fancy driving. It was designed for mediocre drivers (most people) and drivers who aren't paying much attention and find themselves in a bad situation. It helped me a tonne when I was the former as a learner and an inexperienced young driver and now it'll help us all a tonne when we fall in the latter. DSC is like airbags to me, saying "I don't need DSC I can handle a skid/I'm always paying full attention" is like saying "I don't need airbags, I'll never crash".

EDIT : My Fairlane doesn't have DSC, but my old ES did. I'm not a fanatic saying DSC is a must , cause then I'd be a hypocrit. But I'll be honest, with DSC I was far more lenient with my tires. Im just saying there's never a reason turn down the option of DSC, especially when you can switch it off.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: