View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #17
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Grey Nomads - grumpy pains in the ***

I'll never forget being a surveyor back in 2003 in Tassie sitting around campfire with grey nomads of the time, probably before the term existed. They were really impressed that I was paid well to work around Oz with a Cruiser and caravan, but it blew me away the entitlement when they informed me I was going to be paying for their retirement, double dipping, medical etc. I thought "there isn't enough of me to pay for all of you". Some of the attitudes like SKINS - "Spend Kids Inheritance Now" is reprehensible.

However, when you meet them, they are friendly, definitely Australian in the old sense of the term, and good people for the most.

Rules like the double dipping, all the pro housing rules since 1984, 5000-year low interest rates, cramming our cities with workers who dilute wages; have conspired to drastically reduce the outlook of young people born in Australia. We've replaced productive work with RE speculation and asset structures that greatly favour the old. It ain't 1972 when you fall into a secure job paying $7000 and the burden of a $17,000 house. Those jobs are in Thailand building you Hiluxes.

When I see young travellers, they are in the totally clapped out Mitsi vans, trying to hide to sleep the night. It's become a plague in itself, but again, they are pretty good people. Either that or they are homeless - again, can be good people if you get to know them. How on earth did we do this to our young?!

Here's Geelong in the 1960s for a comparo of quality of life, when everything was made locally. And even exported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfFYc4C_JCA