View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:03 AM   #584
dracer

my favorite aircraft was a dc4 i flew in, new guine in 1988, i was only 12 and the old man was overthere hunting, the fog was a white out and the pilots dove down to where they thought was the run way inbetween thousands of feet of mountains and about 50meters b4 the ground the cloud vanished, he pulled back and landed. very very tough aircraft, i flew in alot of aircraft when i was a kid, i wish i still had photos. when i was about 10 or 9 on the farm, i was outside playing in the garden when 5 or 6 of the craziest planes iv ever seen flew over a place called crowlands in victoria, iv tried to draw the planes but im a stick figure man, put it this way thay looked like bloody starwars things and 2 were zepplin looking, one had a prop at the front and rear but was shaped like a dinner plate, the other 2 i cant really remember that well, they were low as and very slow, i remember grandpa saying later that night a farmer had told him alot of heavy army type trucks had gone into a large goverment water catchment about 10kms away, but i never worked out how they could take off, by the time i was old enough to jump the fence it was all over grown. gran had photos of the planes flying over, i really didnt think it was such a big deal until i was older.

we also had an arvo anson crash into the mountain in the 40s that was a 15min walk from our highest paddock, i used to hike up there and look at the stuff left there, but now there is only a few metal bars left. gran was the first one there and also took alot of photos but them 2 are long gone.
dracer is offline   Reply With Quote