View Single Post
Old 17-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #56
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
I'd guess the one with the better motor oil!!

And I'm sorry, I'd back Ford over Haynes any day. Good books, but not a mega million dollar research establishment.

And to be honest, most cars fall apart before their engines "wear out" under normal conditions.

If you took your argument to a logical conclusion, you'd change engine oil every week.

With regard to those manufacturers who recommend 10,000, don't forget that servicing is one of the big income earners for dealers, and the more motor companies can make sure that dealers are earning a good quid from the workshop, the less flack they get about tight margins on vehicles
I did say all thing being equal, and yes I realise that the dealers make money out of servicing. But given the job that an engine oil has to do, I dont believe that an oil or filter no mater how good can be doing just as good a job 15000k's down the track as it can on day one. And what evidence to you have to support your comments against haynes.

There is no way I'll leave engine oil in my car for a whole year, I'll be changing mine every 6 months myself as well as the filter. Its the cheapest insurance policy for your engine.

You know engine oil never actually wears out, its the contaminents left over from the combustion process that does the actual harm. And the car manufactureres are pretty safe, at the intervals that they list the damage will be long term not evidenced in the short term. And they dont mind cars needing major surgery later on in life now do they. Helps keep their spare parts division liquid.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote