Thread: XBGT Coupe
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
Ricky T
Coupe and Caddy

Default Re: XBGT Coupe

Sorry for the late reply, Ozzy. Unfortunately Kranky closed down last year, but you could try Greg at Pro Street up that way. He works by himself and has done a few coupes.

Anyway here's a quick update if anyone was interested to know how my car is going:

Last November I got news that I was posting to Darwin with work starting January (rather unexpected), so it was a mad rush up until Christmas to get my coupe finished. The engine still hadn't been done at that stage, so AN Racing in Punchbowl were able to do a quick rebuild and tidy up on it in 2 weeks, and while that was being done I sent the headers off to J&J Performance in Penrith for ceramic coat.

While the engine and stuff was away I finished up the wiring, glass and trim installation. While I would have preferred to get the seats and door cards recovered I didn't have the time or spare cash, so I had to just re-install them as is. I did get new carpet and headlining with a sprinkling of dynamat though. The old dash that came out of it had since disintegrated but I had a spare brown dash. Again, no time to get it recovered, but a coat of black vinyl spray and it looks good as new. Of course then I had to re-spray the instrument fascia and dash pads as well so it all colour-matched!

I also had a go at changing the uni joints on the driveshaft myself but it was a shamozzle without the right tools, so I dropped it off at a driveshaft place in Bankstown and they replaced the uni's, cleaned, repainted and rebalanced it for me while I waited. Top service!

With the engine, trans and exhaust back in I had issues with the electronic ignition (and starter motor, and pretty much every other component that went back on, one after the other). So the car still wasn't running by the time I had to move out of my house. Also because I had to move into an apartment in Darwin with no secure parking, the XB ended up being shipped to my Dad's property in QLD.

So now I'm in Darwin and my XB is in QLD. Good news, however, is that some of the boys from the Caboolture Car Club were able to suss out the ignition problem and Dad was able to get it running. From all reports he said it sounds great. I'm headed down there over Easter so I'll be able to have a play with it and see if we can get it out on the road for a quick test run.

Ricky T is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: