View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 12:14 AM   #52
K.P.

Default Re: New BP fuels additive announced

I am a direct Holden descendant, (yes those Holdens!) even before I could drive I'd get into a car and would tell the owner "This car needs a service" and unerringly they'd say in shock "It was due a couple of months ago, how can you tell?". Mobil Special 91 is the only powerful, consistent petrol I've found in latter years. I've found this from batch to batch, and site to site. V-Power used to be great six years ago in that regard, I hesitate to say BP Ultimate 98 because in my current (FG XR6) and last car (AU Fairmont Ghia) Ultimate 98 made both cars run roughly for about a quarter of a tank.

theBlake, I have odo'd it (Mobil Special 91) quite some time ago, it's more the number of times I've had a great tank of brand-x then buy it again and it was only passable that really put me off. I've found Mobil Special 91 to be consistently grunty, powerful petrol every batch, every site, and that I can't say of any other brand. Hence why I am very interested in trying Mobil's Supreme 98+.

Who doesn't get sick of "passable" petrol, or petrol that varies from batch to batch? BP's LPG is definitely the most economical (highest butane content) but that comes at the cost of performance. Sluggish takeoff, ridiculously sluggish actually, and peak (overtaking say) power problems, labouring up hills and downshifting too. People who tow also report no-go, as per the LPG threads. Mobil LPG wins here again on the economy/performance ratio, perfect. Supagas (pure propane) is amazing but not as economical.

I'm going to quickly plug Liqui-Moly Fuel System Cleaner/Conditioner. I found out about it on bobistheoilguy, researching Techron Concentrate to try to unstick a possible fouled fuel sender issue. One poster raved about it being the fuel system cleaner to be beaten bar none (including the tank). I never expected to find a) my fuel consumption to drop by 1.8l/100k, nor the palpable rear end drivetrain oomph. The engine purrs like my (now dead and years back) Grandpa's BMW 325i, the car slickly oozes forward like a hot knife through butter (both BMW and Ford use/d the boxer inline six, the most powerful but least economical engine type)...anyway, the (already well-mantained) car is performing superbly, even the overall dynamics have changed for the better.

Supposed to last 10,000ks, and I've seen this effect after only 20-odd, despite the steel can stating 200k. 36/38 glowing reviews on the Supercheap Auto website (more than for any other additive) convinced me to try it - some had tried 4,5 and little to no effect. Has it unfouled the sender? Probably, but I won't know until I've used a full quarter tank and top up a bit. It seems to have done everything else bar the car becoming German, so I suspect so.

Karl Benz invented the motor car, and Liqui-Moly are Germany's leading oil brand. At $27-31 a can it may *seem* pricier, but why pay $10-15 on glop that barely or doesn't work? The Germans don't have unrestricted speed autobahns for nothing...

I prefer Fords to Holdens despite my lineage, I fell in love with my first Fairmont and haven't looked back since.

Again, to theBlake: as in Roj Blake? Love Blakes 7, and Jon Pertwee was one of my favourite Doctors.

Last edited by K.P.; 12-08-2019 at 12:36 AM.
K.P. is offline   Reply With Quote