View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default Sheep in trucks!

Hello

I have a question for the truck drivers out there.

What is the deal with sheep in trucks?

I drive on the freeway every day, to and from work (Mt Barker to city) and I see loads of trucks. One particular morning, while sitting at the city end of the freeway at an intersection (Glen Osmond Road/Portrush Road/Cross Road/Freeway for those who know the area). There was this horrible squealing noise.

Everyone in their cars could hear it and were all turning around to look (there were heaps of cars banked up as well as trucks). There was a large truck next to us with sheep in it. The squealing was coming from there. About half way back along the truck, there was a sheep's leg protruding from between the wooden slats on the truck and it was wedged there. It was bleeding all down the side of the truck and it looked as though it was almost severed. The poor sheep was screaming. The other sheep appeared very distressed too.

They were squashed in so tight that it was clear that the sheep could not free itself, and also most of the blood down the side of the truck was not all that fresh, suggesting that the sheep had been stuck that way for quite some time. I am guessing the truck would have come from Melbourne, or perhaps even Sydney but it probably had been on the road for a fair amount of time. So the sheep had been suffering for some time.

People around in the cars were quite upset, and there was a girl in the passenger seat of the car behind me who was in tears. The driver of the truck seemed entirely unaware of the problem, although I dont know how he could have missed the leg protruding, in his side mirror, let alone the noise!

I didnt get the name of the truck company or anything like that, as I was in the doubel turn right lane and the arrow went green and I had to go. There was nothing on the side of the truck to indicate either. Otherwise I would have rang and complained.

Now, I know that sheep have to be packed in fairly tightly to keep them from moving around too much in the truck, for their own benefit. And I know they are just sheep, being transported to somewhere to be killed and eaten anyway. I just thought that was beyond acceptable, and that at least they should be treated humanely in the truck.

I have seen similar things since then, although nowhere as bad. One sheep had its head stuck down very low and out of one of the gaps and was clearly stuck. Many of them look very awkward.

Is there any regulations about how the sheep must be transported to prevent this, or is it just considered acceptable practice. Im sure the truck drivers have nothing to do with this either, as they just drive the truck and cant do much (not like he can stop the truck when he realises there is a problem and unload all of the sheep himself and sort it out).

I also see chickens in trucks who look they are half frozen from their journey, but thats another story!

Has anyone else seen similar things with the sheep?

Jac

: Cobra :